Re: Push-pull

Hi,

David & Julie Donald <dsjmd@hermes.net.au> wrote in message
35B280EF.56B571C9@hermes.net.au...
>Here is another of those inane questions.
>
>Apart from the situations listed below, and as well as EMU's/DMU's, can any
>reader think of any other situations where Australian or New Zealand rail
>operators use a system of "push-pull" (sometimes also referred to as "top
and
>tail".
>
>The ones that readily came to my mind were:
>(b) some of what I will call the Outer Suburban / InterUrban passenger
traffic
>(notably on the Bendigo line (e.g. Kyneton), Seymour, and Bacchus Marsh)
running
>around Melbourne, where there was two three-car sets (from memory, "H'
sets)
>combined into one six-car set, with a P-class on either end (I think that
there
>was a variation whereby the sets were joined, such that the second loco was
in
>the middle of the train) - I believe that the reason for this working
related to
>the HEP equipment, and the fact that the equipment in a single P-class was
>inadequate to supply the necessary power etc to all six cars;

As far as I know, there haven't been *any* push-pull's to Kyneton at least
not recently.  This arrangement is frequently used on the late afternoon
trains to Sunbury though, as it makes the job of turning around and going
back to Spencer St quite a lot easier :-)

In fact, I doubt there have been any P class locos go past Sunbury.
Sprinters and N classes usually take this run.  Anyone have any ideas why P
class's don't run past Sunbury?  (Or is it just that the hill at Rupertswood
is too steep?)

Reuben