Re: Steamfreight 98

David Corrie <dcorrie@vermont.starway.net.au> writes: >

 <SNIP>
>If roads are to be closed for an event ... permits must me obtained and propper
> signage barries erected.

The difficulty with organising a "fan" weekend on a preserved
railway is working out some way to charge a reasonable
fee to those taking part, thus ensuring some commercial return
on the venture, whilst controlling access to lineside areas
normally frequented by motorcaders.

Whilst most responsible photographers probably won't object to
putting up a few dollars towards the cost of staging the event, they
won't if they see others getting it all for free.

This was the problem in 1991 in South Africa, where fans were
charged a hefty fee for the right to use SAR access roads
during the week long Steam Festival between Kimberley and De Aar.
(It was about R250, from memory.) We paid up, and then they left
the gates unlocked after day 2, ensuring a free for all on some
days, with dozens of cars and even two buses using the lineside
dirt roads. This at least had one unexpected side effect - on some
runs *nobody* got any shots due to dust!

If the British preserved rail model is followed, you have to
effectively close off an area to public access, then charge
the fans to either ride or photograph the special runs (a Daypass
is a good idea.)Congratulations to CMR for staging this event- there
is potential for other preserved railways to follow suit. However, given
the relatively small Australian railfan community, it will only be
possible if the organisations involved can actually make some money out
of the concept.

Cheers,

Paul Hogan