Re: Rail Black Spots

"Reuben Farrelly" <reubie@bigpond.com.AAA> wrote:
>30% (270km) of the Adelaide-Melbourne rail line is restricted to 80kph or
>less because of track condition.  For around $130 million, the rail line
>could be brought up to world's best practice, including double stacked
>container capacity, reducing transit times by three hours and saving at
>least 900,000 litres of fuel per annum.  By contrast, the Federal Government
>is spending $138 million on road improvements in the Adelaide hills which
>will reduce road travel time by just 10 minute"s.
><end quote>

Hmmmmmmmm.  $130 million to "fix" the Adelaide
Melbourne rail line, faster times and double stack.!

I doubt it very much, the cost that is.  Bypass the
Adelaide Hills as AN wanted to do and you might just
succeed, but it will cost more than $130 million.
The amount of fuel saved, wear on track and plant on a
bypass would more than pay for it, over a reasonably
short time.

Since the introduction of the NR class, track wear has
accelerated.  There is a message in there I believe.

Cheers

----Terry Burton
Alice Springs NT