Rail Black Spots

Hi people,

Just noticed some new documents up on the National Rail web site at
http://www.nationalrail.com.au/newbits/Facts/facts.htm

Some of the documents on this site make for very interesting reading, if not
down right entertainment, although entertainment because it's tragic not
because it's humourous...

I came across this statement on the 5th page - as an example of the
"unlevel" playing field that road transport has over rail transport:

<start quote>
*** Rail Black Spots
<snip>
* Melbourne-Adelaide

30% (270km) of the Adelaide-Melbourne rail line is restricted to 80kph or
less because of track condition.  For around $130 million, the rail line
could be brought up to world's best practice, including double stacked
container capacity, reducing transit times by three hours and saving at
least 900,000 litres of fuel per annum.  By contrast, the Federal Government
is spending $138 million on road improvements in the Adelaide hills which
will reduce road travel time by just 10 minute"s.
<end quote>

Gotta love that 10 mins I'd save if I went to Adelaide by car!

There are also some interesting comments about how Diesel Excise tax affects
Railways, and how trains which don't add value to goods, have to pay the
33c/L tax because they are *not* classified as "Off Road Vehicles".

Reuben