Re: C class's and Belarine Peninsula Railways (two qns)

markbau1@aol.com (MarkBau1) wrote:
>EMD have stated that the best their 16 cyl 710 engine could output is in the
>4,000hp range.(Yes I know Santa Fe got them higher) Yes they could go to 20
>cylinders (there is a 20 cyl 710 engine in power station/oil drilling service)
>but I don't think they ever want to put a 20 cylinder engine in a loco again
>after the SD45 debacle. To go to the next hp plateau (6,000hp) would take a new
>engine and that is what they have done. At EMD's 75th anniversary open house I

OK, with you now, I am still curious as to why EMD did
not build a new two stroke series with larger bore
size, their long successful experience with the two
stroke _perhaps_ led them to develop the four stroke
because there may have been limitations which they have
yet to divulge.

>I think this stems from the variable horsepower capability. This feature means
>the NR has the potential to be more fuel efficient. I'm not aware of a similiar
>feature available for EMD's. Maybe this is what Nat. Rail means by GE's being
>more fuel effecient.

Yes that could well be.  EMD may add this feature with
the new series.

>BTW, what do you think of desktop controls? I don't like them much and I really
>have a problem with computer screen instead of real gauges? I'd be interested
>to hear your comments!

I am old fashioned and still like gauges, but progress
and technology march on.  I operate very large engines
for power generation and they have been converted to
Allen-Bradley/Rockwell PLC's and software.  The systems
are very accurate and rock solid, I presume GE and EMD
have systems that will stand the rigours of rail
operation over a long period of time.

Cheers

----Tell
Alice Springs NT