Tasrail & Adelaide Electrification

     Tasrail : I visited Conara Jcn on Tasrail's South line on Friday and
     Burnie on the Western Line on Saturday.  The former Z type engines -
     the ZR and ZP rebuilds and the usual ZBs, are now numbered in the 2100
     class - with the Z letter and number painted out and the new four
     digit number in white - on engine nose and sides.

     At Burnie, also noticed some EBR concentrate wagons bogie-less upside
     down on flat wagons - are they being converted from vacuum to air
     brake ?

     The far reaches of the Western line to Wiltshire don't look like
     they've seen a train in years, but are still intact.

     Adelaide Electrification : if you look at the ARHS Bulletins which
     featured the Redhen railcars, back in the mid 80s (?) there is mention
     there of a feasibility study to electrify Adelaide's suburban system
     around 1948 or so - I think the conclusion was to put it in the
     too-hard basket and order diesel railcars - that's what you'd expect
     from a rail system which couldn't see that having two gauges probably
     wasn't a very good idea.  Don't get me wrong, I love SAR trains and
     think their diesels were the most stylish round, and certainly had the
     best paint schemes - three at once ! But due to the gauges problem, SA
     is lucky to have any rail system left at all.

     Cheers

     Ben

     bscanlon@dist.gov.au

----------------- Cleared by MIMEsweeper ----------------