Re: 5910

Adrian Whichello wrote:

> When I was driving alongside the train (me chasing a diesel hauled
> train -
> c'mon!) just after it left Medlow Bath, the 45 was putting out regular
> puffs of
> brown smoke in amongst the usual flatulent diesel exhaust. What was
> causing
> this?

    The problem is quite noticeable while on the loco- the puff of smoke
co-incides with  all the hood doors rattling. It looks good at night
though; instead of the smoke you see during the day you get an orangey
sheet of flame blowing from the stack.     One theory for the cause of
this problem was that there was a dud injector on the engine; however
all injectors were changed and the problem still exists. The current
theory is that one of the turbos has had it- which makes more sense in
that the problem only occurs in the higher notches under load and the
unit is not developing full boost pressure. (I guess we'll find out when
they change it; after the radiators and heads have been done on 4490 and
possibly after 4201)

Hope this helps;

Regards

Ben Armstrong