Re: NSW govt supports Chatswood to Parramatta line

Matthew Geier wrote in message <6npoda$ms7$1@metro.usyd.edu.au>...
>brendan@mpce.mq.edu.au (Brendan Jones) writes:

< snip >

> The STA will probably also move into the area with the Designline diesel
>electric busses, promoting 'clean electric travel' against the SLR's
>'clean electric travel'. The average punter wont understand the difference
>between diesel electric of the bus and pure electric of the tram, they will
>belive the 'clean electric transport' banner down the side of the bus.

Although I agree with your premise that the tram is "cleaner" the bus, don't
forget that the generation of the electricity may not be all that "clean" as
a large proportion comes from burning coal.  The pollution of the power
stations has less effect on the human population than that from diesel and
petrol powered vehicles.

Michael McDonald