Re: NSW govt supports Chatswood to Parramatta line

In article <359F8DB7.5DECBE41@ozemail.com.au> David Johnson (trainman@ozemail.com.au) wrote:
> Pick the error in the article.  I'll give you a clue:  It is in this paragraph
> Transport Minister Carl Scully says the $1.4 million rail link will
>                    be a great boost for the north-western corridor.

Yup, should be $1.4 thousand million (called a billion in the US).  The
project is going to EIS, so it looks as "real" as it can be at this point
in time.  Construction to start in late '99, pending a succssful EIS.  IMO
that start date looks a bit optimistic, but you never know.

Four months ago I defended Carl Scully from accusations he was wanting
to "pavement" all of Sydney and was ridiculed.  I said then and say again
now I believe he is NSW's best transport minister in the past 20 years,
if not longer.  Looks like I was right.

And I still predict that an announcement regarding extension of the light
rail line to Lilyfield will be made before the end of this year.

And to he cynics: yes, NSW is going to an election.  On March 28, 1999.  I
make that nine months away.  Nope, it can't be an election ploy.  Besides,
every seat this train line runs through, save for Parramatta, is held by
the Liberal Party by enormous margins and won't be won by Labor before the
next Ice Age.

--
Dr Brendan Jones        |
Honorary Associate      |