Re: Steam through loop

When the Loop was originally built, wooden bodied cars were banned for fire
safety reasons. There was a rumour that two X class had modified exhausts,
so that they could work the Loop if there was a major overhead failure.

Also, in the initial design, the dimensions of the tunnels were set so that
freights, up to the Ultimate Rolling Stock Gauge of the day, could use the
loop. This was in case the viaduct was damaged or bombed,  freight access
to Gippsland could be maintained.

Steam! I don't think that was ever considered.

Ron

Sams Workshop <workshop@hotkey.net.au> wrote in article
<01bda20e$f837f2e0$dd028aca@dialup.mpx.com.au>...