Re: Steam through loop

Ron Bennell (ron.bennell@qr.com.au) wrote:
> When the Loop was originally built, wooden bodied cars were banned for fire
> safety reasons. There was a rumour that two X class had modified exhausts,
> so that they could work the Loop if there was a major overhead failure.

I know some 48s were modified for City Circle working in Sydney. Is that
what you're thinking of?

> Also, in the initial design, the dimensions of the tunnels were set so that
> freights, up to the Ultimate Rolling Stock Gauge of the day, could use the
> loop. This was in case the viaduct was damaged or bombed,  freight access
> to Gippsland could be maintained.

Plant trains not included, freight has been sent through the loop on
several occasions.

IIRC, the first time was due to a signalling error when an electric hauled
freight wend into the Caulfield loop. It had to run through and back to
Flinders St Yard to reverse.

I also remember seeing a diesel hauled freight hauled by an A coming out
of the Northern Loop at Flinders St in the early 90s.

Cheers
David