Re: Pronunciation of Station Names

> BTW how *do* they pronounce castle as in Newcastle in NSW and Vic. My
> brother in law who was born in St Kilda and has lived most of his life in
> Altona pronounces it as New - cassel. On the other hand all the locals
> including my uncle and aunt and various cousins who have lived there for >
> 20 years pronounce in New-carsle.

Having lived in both states with workmates living in Newcastle
(New-carsell) and relatives in Chewton, just outside of Castlemaine
(Cassel-main), I think these pronunciations are correct. Another classic
mispronunciation is Launceston. Having spoken to people from Lon-seston
on the phone in my previous job, if you pronounce it Lorn-seston you get
varied reactions from a polite correction (20%) to a full angry tirade
on 'how you Victorians think you're so right but you have no idea' (40%)