Re: Pronunciation of Station Names

kingpin@magna.com.au (Derek Woodlands) wrote:
>On 22 Jan 1998 10:16:46 GMT, "Mike" <malex@bigfoot.com> took time out

>> How about Lalor?
>>
>> Is it "Lay-lor" or "Law-la"?
>
>The former.

However Barry Jones, who is the Honourable Member for Lalor, uses the
latter pronunciation.  I've heard him say that he is one of the few
people who pronounces it correctly.

Is the Lalor that we are talking about the same Lalor that is in Barry
Jones' electorate?

Getting back to trains, another example of a difference is in Perth. On
the new Northern suburbs line there is a station called 'Glendalough'.
There is also a suburb and a state electorate of that name (Carmen
Lawrence was its most well-known member).

The most common pronunciation is Glenda-LOW.  However the train
pronounces it as Glenda-LOCK.

Peter
Peter Parker

E-mail: parkerp@pcug.org.au
Amateur Radio: VK1PK

Home Page: http://www.pcug.org.au/~parkerp/
The home of Novice Notes Online, the Australian QRP Home
Page and the Sustainable Transport Web Site.