Re: Melb's stuffed ATMs

"Mike Alexander" <malex@bigfoot.com> wrote:

>> > Previously, you only had to remove your ticket from your wallet to show
>it
>> > to the ticket checker in the city, and to the conductor on the tram.
>
>> Not necessarily.  Most wallets have a plastic window to put photographs
>in.
>> This is an ideal place for a monthly / yearly ticket.  And you don't need
>> remove the ticket to show it.

>Oh well, if everyone is so concerned about the _huge_ inconvenience of
>actually removing a ticket from your wallet, then I guess you will be prime
>candidates for "Metcard Xpress" when (if) it is finally released.

>For those who don't know, this is the Smartcard ticket, which will allow
>you to just wave your ticket near the validators or ticket gates, rather
>than having to insert it in a slot.

>--
>Regards,

>Mike Alexander
>(malex@bigfoot.com)

See latest issue of Modern Railways for a description of such a system
and for tech. details of how close and how fast you have to wave your
ticket with the various systems.  This article also gives details of
the data density on a standard swipe ticket, which obviously makes my
estimate given here about a year ago a woeful over-estimate.

Geoff Lambert