Re: Electrification of the rail north of Broadmeadows?

> After moving to where I am now (Glenroy) and going around this area, I am
> surprised that the electric line ends at Broadmeadows still. With the fast
> residential development to the north (i.e. Roxbrough Park and even
> Craigieburn) wouldn't it be logical for our government to upgrade public
> transport to those areas?

This last sentence should explain it all. The last electric suburban
railway system extensions were as follows:

Cranbourne March 1995
Werribee 1983 (+ extension of Altona line to make Werribee line viable
1985)
Upper Ferntree Gully to Belgrave 1963
The government is now privatising the railways. It isn't going to spend
any money on railways when it is just about to sell them. And private
investors will probably try and get some money back on their investment
first before starting large expansion plans.
By the way, other areas which should also be done:
Sunshine to past Deer Park plus large satellite city of Melton.
St Albans to Sydenham is all now suburbia.
Broadmeadows to Somerton plus satellite city of Craigieburn. Craigieburn
used to have an excellent trial service from Upfield provided by Metbus
for a $3 surcharge. However, I think Metbus failed to realise that a
20minute weeknight evening service to around midnight (and similar on
weekends when they were running the 319 Upfield rail replacement buses)
was probably mass overkill and probably why they lost money on the
exercise, especially those buses running between 7pmish and 8.30pm when
normal Met services were still running and also the rare Vline train
accepting Met tickets to Craigieburn.
Epping to South Morang - alongside the reservation is all housing, plus
Whittlesea City Council offices plus the performing arts centre.
Frankston to Hastings.

> So far the only services that go out there are buses
> and I don't even think they run on a sunday. How would people in these areas
> get out from there to the city?
>
> What is the possibility of electrification of this line in the near future?

Buckleys, there are many rail line extensions (and duplication eg Epping
to Keon Park, Eltham to Greensborough, Ringwood to Box Hill third line)
mentioned during elections but politicians once elected no longer feel
it necessary to keep promises and we don't hold them accountable for
them.