Re: Pronunciation of Station Names

Derek Woodlands <kingpin@magna.com.au> wrote in article
<34d3d1b2.26409840@news.magna.com.au>...
> On Mon, 26 Jan 1998 23:17:56 +1000, "Barry" <one@microsoft.com> took
> time out from wrapping gaffer tape around gerbils and wrote:
>
> In Sydney, we pronounce the castle bit as CARSEL, same as the poms
> pronounce it (dunno how the Victorian pronunciations came into being).

As someone else said - the Poms (Geordies) actually pronounce it
New-Cassel.

My theory about why Victorians pronounce it this way - and I think the
Victorians are the odd ones out in Australia here - is because of the
influence of the Americans arriving for the Gold rush as the Californian
gold ran out.  This pronunciation pervades many words - dance, prance (not
darnce, prarnce etc).

> The South Australians are the funniest to listen to.   They all seem
> to have a lisp.  ;-)

Its not really a lithp - its more a problem with the letter L, but only at
the end of words and immediately preceding a consonant.  For example, a
South Australian would travel from Glenewg to Goowa via the Adelaide Hiws
and Tailem Bend.  Its not as bad as Elmer Fudd though who would travel from
Gwenewg via Adewaide and Taiwem Bend.