Re: Map of Briztram network

David McLoughlin wrote:

> Hi Garry
>
> didn't realise you were a student (see email address)  <g>

I have been a student now for 42 years! I'll probablt die one. I'm perpetually
doing more degress. All in history now.

> >My biggest concern is the insistence on using Victoria Bridge - not
> designed for
> >trams and we were told they can't be retro fitted because of spacing of
> concrete
> >arches.
>
> You mean they are above the load limit??? But that is a modern bridge. The
> old Victoria Bridge had major load limits if you remember and I think trams
> had restrictions, one per span or similar and heavy vehicles were forbidden
> to use the tram lanes.

True re-restrictions although not sure if heavy vehicles used tram lanes or
other lanes. Concrete Deck was actually removed from car lanes to lighten
bridge. Condemmed in 1928. Use of salt water in sprinkler trams blamed for its
corrision at time..No. Victoria Bridge is a concrete box girder internal
suspension bridge. At the time it was stated that the spacing of the concrete
box girders arches did not coincide with the addition of tram tracks. I presume
what they meant was that although the bridge could take the weight of trams,
once the tracks were let into the deck, the thickness of the deck would be too
liitle to take the weight as there would be no supporting concrete arch under
them. The other alternate woiuld have been to lay them on the surface and build
up the surrounding roundway. This would have re-created old bridge and its load
problems.

> > On the other hand, William Jolly Bridge was designed for trams and the
> >sleepers (laid in 1928) were only recently removed.
>
> But no trams ever ran over that bridge. They only ever ran over Victoria
> Bridge. Was there a plan to run them there? A shortcut to Milton workshops
> from South Brisbane?

Yes. The 1925 Cross River Commission recommended that Grey Street Bridge
(renamed William Jolly). Trams were to run from S.Bris.Stn across bridge and
join Upper Roma Street with a double track "y" junction. Do you remember the
tall concrete lamp posts (since removed) on the bridge between arches and onm
approaches - they were to hold the overhead up as too were the rosettes still
on the arches.

What use was to be made of the line was never stated although the left hand
curves would have gone to the Workshops and Milton Tennis Courts. Perhaps
southern sububs trams were to deviate via Roma Street or run a loop. Would have
enabled an easier  Roma Street Stn to S. Bris Stn connecting service. Handy for
train travellers or provided a relief for Victoria Bridge or another route to
Adelaide Street during processions. Who knows.

Cheers

Garry