Re: Delec history?

tezza wrote:

> A lot of money was spent on motorised air exhausts in Delec shed shed
> last year. They are now rebuilding the fuel point roof and building a
> new canopy for where the diesel road trucks unload.
>
> Can it be much longer before Delec is handed over to someone's mate in
> private enterprise for a peppercorn rent?
>
> BTW, whoever said it wasn't Shell delivering to Delec was wrong.

 No one in their right mind would go anywhere near Delec. As far as a
commercial proposition goes ,the place is a disaster area. The building is
full of asbestos and the soil contaminated with fuel and oil. I'm sure the
moment a private company showed an interest in the site the EPA would no
longer turn a blind eye to the problems at Delec. Anyway, what would they
maintain at Delec? They  no longer have their own fleet to worry about.
There is only one thing at Delec that would be a commercial proposition
for someone to take over and that is the wheel lathe. This little beauty
is like a printing press that runs 24 hrs a day and prints dollars. I
suspect that a private company like Gonninans or Clyde will eventually
build their own anyway and do the SRAs work under contract. One thing is
for sure, Clyde would have no interest in the Delec Dump! Their facility
at Kooragang is  equipped to handle up to 200 locomotives . Gonninans have
the Maintrain site with plenty of room out the back for expansion.
Re the fuel deliveries by road, see my previous posting on this. For the
record, Mobil delivers with B double road tankers to all Newcastle depots.

                            Bob