Re: what is a 38"s theoretical top speed?

brett.fitzpatrick@employment.gov.au writes: > 27/9/1997: I timed 3830 on its first run at 120 km/h. This was between
> Calwalla and Moss Vale, I was thinking that it would be nice to hear a
> 38's exhaust roar at speed, when that sound came through the open
> window. I rushed to the down side of the train, and started timing. From
> 141.5 km to 143 km the train was runnig 14 second half-kilometers (128.5
> km/h, 80.37 mph). From 143 km to 149 km the train was running 15 second
> half-kilometers (120 km/h, 75 mph). From 149 km to 151 km the train was
> running 17 second half-kilometers 105.9 km/h, 66.2 mph).
>
> Whilst on the BC Train to Perth, 3801 managed to run the long straights
> to Peterborough with 25 second kilometers (144 km/h, 90 mph), for some
> 12 kilometers.
>
> These times were logged using my wristwatch, so there probably is some
> error.
>
> Brett.

>       http://www.dejanews.com/     Search, Read, Post to Usenet

In regular running 38's would easily roll along at 70-75 MPH where suitable
track conditions existed, which is not very common. On the Moss Vale passenger
I frequently clocked 38's at 80 MPH between Campbelltown and Casula.

The only time I have clocked them at over 90 MPH was down gentle grades, eg.
3827 at Warnervale on the short north, 3818 at Tallong on the south, etc
and then only for one or two 1/4 mile sections. Your claim of 90 MPH for
12 km is amazing. I would like to see those figures verified in some way.
Does anyone have any more detailed data on this run?

Graham Fry