Re: Delec history?

Bob wrote in message <34C5CA9E.60556064@fastlink.com.au>...

> No one in their right mind would go anywhere near Delec. As far as a
>commercial proposition goes ,the place is a disaster area. The building
is
>full of asbestos and the soil contaminated with fuel and oil.

And cyanide apparently from the steam locos.

> I'm sure the
>moment a private company showed an interest in the site the EPA would
no
>longer turn a blind eye to the problems at Delec.

That's what stopped them before. They were going to move Delec to
Chullora but it was going to cost more to fix up the pollution problems
than the sale would realise.

 >Anyway, what would they
>maintain at Delec? They  no longer have their own fleet to worry about.

They're still doing work there though (in between naps). FreightCorp
advertised near the end of last year for expressions of interest from
parties interested in doing loco heavy maintenance at Delec.

>There is only one thing at Delec that would be a commercial proposition
>for someone to take over and that is the wheel lathe. This little
beauty
>is like a printing press that runs 24 hrs a day and prints dollars. I
>suspect that a private company like Gonninans or Clyde will eventually
>build their own anyway and do the SRAs work under contract.

Why waste their own money when they can get the taxpayer to pay for it
like Maintrain?

 >One thing is
>for sure, Clyde would have no interest in the Delec Dump! Their
facility
>at Kooragang is  equipped to handle up to 200 locomotives . Gonninans
have
>the Maintrain site with plenty of room out the back for expansion.
>Re the fuel deliveries by road, see my previous posting on this.

You're presuming I kept them :-)