Re: Stony Point Pass

Another aspect of Victoria's rail service I find strange:

- The Stony point line (and the disused and partially dismantled
Mornington line) pass through the high-growth south/south east corridor
of greater Melbourne.

- The Mornington peninsula is a particularly popular summer spot for
many Victorians.

- The Stony point line comes within spitting distance of Philip Island,
one of the largest tourist spots in Victoria, and Australia. A ferry
operates from Stony Point to Philip Island.

The government should bite the bullet and make a ling term investment in
eletrification (at least to Stony Point), and market this service as a
faster method of passage to the Island. The bulk of vistors to PI use
car or charter tour bus via the South Eastern Freeway (M1), South
Gippsland Freeway (M480) and Bass Highway to PI via San Remo. This is
nearly twice the distance of a reliable, regular rail service,
connecting with a ferry to PI from Stony Point. If a privatised Bayside
had some smarts they could take on the charter bus operators head-on,
offering special "Penguin Trains" that would be much faster and
certainly more comfortable than the current bus services via the long
San Remo route. This particular line has so much potential, both short
(immediate tourist benefits) and long term (continued tourist benefits,
and corridor growth).

David