Re: Melb's stuffed ATMs

Michael Walker wrote in message <34C81970.3FBB@hotkey.net.au>...
>Chris Gordon wrote:
>>
>> Mick Stock wrote:
>> >
>> > Going home from work at about 7:20 this morning, I noticed that the
ticket
>> > validators at East Ringwood were out of service.  I didn't take any
>> > noticed whether or not the ATMs were working, but no-one went near
them,
>> > even though the station was unmanned.
>> >
>> > It'd be intereesting to see what the R.P.Os would try to do to a
passenger
>> > with an unvalidated Metcard in this situation...
>> >
>> > Mick.
>>
>> At Hertherdale in the morning a lot of people buy their tickets and walk
>> straight on to the platform.  The biggest problem is people currently are
>> trained that you buy your ticket at the station and get on the train.
This is
>> for paper tickets.  Now they have to be re-trained to valadate it each
morning.

>> Chris Gordon
>> cmgord@ecr.mu.oz.au
>> http://www.ecr.mu.oz.au/~cmgord
>
>I would also hypothesize that many of them just couldn't be bothered
>validating. I used to buy monthly tickets on the basis that all you have
>to do is wave it at the ticket-checker in the city and the conductor on
>the tram. This meant that it could live in my wallet 98% of the time
>except for the last 15 minutes from Flinders Street Station to South
>Melbourne and the first 15 minutes on the return journey. Now I shall
>have to validate it before and after the train trip and when I get on
>the tram as well. I am glad the bus route outside the front of my house
>is so inadequate I don't bother otherwise there's another validation.
>Meaning the ticket is now kept in my shirt pocket where it is prone to
>fall out, go through the wash or be left there when I travel the next
>day. Hmmm... And the new brochures tell me the system is SO much mure
>accessible and easy to use now that Metcard is here...
Michael,
Don't worry... Your monthly metcard will fade until it is unreadable, then
you get
harrassed by the Ticket checkers 'cos they won't be able to read the
ticket. Then it will stuff up when you get to a validator with it telling
you to 'RETRY'
Its happenned to me and I had to go see the Station Master at Flinders
Street.
Johann