Re: Double Colour Light Signalling

David Johnson (trainman@ozemail.com.au) wrote:
>I noticed yesterday that around Ingleburn where signals are fairly close
>together, but trains operate at 140 km/h + that there are two medium indications
>(green over yellow) before a caution indication.

Yet Melbourne can't run high density suburban trains at much more than
80km/h. There are very few sections where suburban EMUs are allowed 100 or
115km/h. The problem there is usually only one warning between "clear
normal speed" and "stop".

G    Y    R
 R    R    R
-------------->

Most trains would have to slow from 80km/h to stop within the length of
the block.

By adding some medium speed aspects as standard, speeds could be
increased. Underneath are the probably speeds when passing each signal
post.

G    Y    Y    R    R
 R    R    G    Y    R
115  115  80   40   0