Re: Splitting distants in Victoria- Jack MacLean speaks up

>Jack MacLean joins the Internet- well, almost.

>A little while ago, someone asked a question here about splitting
>distants in Victoria (or was it Australia?).

It was me, and the question related to Victoria.

>In attempting to answer,
>I suggested it was high time Jack MacLean got on the Internet to be
>able to answer such questions.  A Canadian net-head saw this
>statement, wrote to Jack and Jack phoned me- and so now we have an
>answer.

Fancy going via Canada ... I guess I could have picked up the
telephone too.

>Jack said there were "heaps" of splitting distants- both "diverging"
>and "converging"- and nominated a couple.  This prompted me to read my
>1928 "Book of Signals" much more carefully and I found the following.
>All of  the "diverging" ones were gone by the time of the 1949
>edition.

[list snipped]

Send my thanks to Jack for this useful information.  I note the
absence of Echuca.  Is my failing memory playing tricks again, as I am
sure I can remember converging distant signals on the same post there.

Cheers...JD
John Dennis                         jdennis@acslink.net.au
Melbourne                                  denjo02@cai.com
Australia               http://www.acslink.net.au/~jdennis
                Dutton Bay Tramway pages updated 1 January
DBT URL:       http://www.acslink.net.au/~jdennis/dbt.html