Re: Thirlmere goods shed

On Wed, 31 Dec 1997 17:35:49 +1100, Craig Warton <craigw@wolf.net.au>
wrote:

>Okay, a fairly simple question- where did the goods shed at THirlmere
>come from?
>The shed was not there prior to the deviation as photos show a second
>platform in that position - so it was "built" after this period, however
>it is of an earlier design than the standard sheds of the 1910 - 1915
>era. As such I suspect it was relocated from another location - does
>anyone have any ideas??

G'day

I have discussed this one with Stuart Sharp, State Rail's Senior
Heritage Officer whose speciality is station buildings and structures.

He comments that the RSA Plan Room at Transport House does not hold a
plan for the Thirlmere goods shed.   Similarly designed goods sheds
were built between 1914 & 1932 and were usually done by local
carpenters.   There is no evidence that the goods shed was transferred
from another location.   The absence of a plan also suggests a local
railway builder and the simple, practical design supports this.   The
station building on the (down) platform at Thirlmere was also erected
using local carpenters, rather than any design leadership based on
formal plans from senior staff in Sydney.

Reference to ARHS Bulletin 353 of March 1967, pages 56/57, suggest
that a goods shed (not necessarily the same one) was erected in 1904
when the goods yard was expanded behind the redundant up platform.

With the opening of the Bargo deviation in 1919, the track arrangement
at Thirlmere was simplified considerably.   The track diagram as at
1920 shows the goods shed in its current position.   I would suspect
that it is the original goods shed constructed in 1904, relocated.

Some contradictions, but I trust this information may be of use.   Can
anyone add to, or correct, these details?

Pete.