Re: 3801 and 3830 Double Headers

Michael Walker (walker@hotkey.net.au) wrote:
>Thanks David for all the info! Just for my ignorance, what exactly is
>the 'ASG' ?

Australian Standard Garratt. Interestingly, this is the only ASG never to
be modified.

>With regard to the E and F, my understanding is that these were the
>mainstay of the suburban network at one stage. Not everybody wants (or
>can afford) to go on numerous main line trips and most trips around the
>local network are reserved to the odd K class trip run as a publicity
>gimmick for some local festival or other or the Elecrail Tait. I am not
>saying that I disagree with this but it is hardly a 'representative' run
>of the K class which would only have run on suburban trips with freight
>or maybe the odd Stony Point or Mornington train or Healesville train
>when the policy changed on running railcars.

Again, this falls into the category of "it would be nice, but". The E
class has a tractife effort of only 14,000lb and has a top speed of 40mph.
Add to that limited range (small side tanks) and the lack of suburban
watering facilities and things don't look too good. It would be very hard
to slot any sizable train in between regular services with such a small
loco up front.

>Whilst on this thread or restoration, does anyone know anything about
>the Harris train restoration? I see the odd thing here and there in the
>magazines saying it is still being restored but I haven't seen anything
>for a while.

No Harris cars were preserved with a view to restoration. Only one
standard motor car and one modified (from the "Grey Ghost") were set aside
for the museum. It is possible the two motor cars still in use on the
greasing train may be made available when no longer required, but unlikely
any time this century.

The currently Elecrail projects are doggie motor 137M (nearing
completion), doggie trailer 12BT, prototype Harris trailer 201BT and
electric locomotives E1108 and L1162. Both 137M and the L have moved under
their own power.

Cheers
David