Re: 3801 and 3830 Double Headers

David Bromage wrote:

> Rob McKiernan (blobigus@optus.net.au) wrote:
> >I have read with interest a readers letter in the January ARHS Digest with a
> >proposition to restore 3813 to running order. Now as I understand it, bits
> >and peices are lying at Dorrigo, Thirlmere and the Power House so I guess it
> >would take a long time just to sought out the ownership etc of the loco (who
> >does own it as I thought all locos in the RTM collection were originally on
> >loan from the NSWGR).
>
> >restoration would get something tangible for their efforts. I think the RTM
> >especially could benefit from this and perhaps this would allow people to
> >contribute to a loco that they would like to see running again not what is
> >determined by a museum as being a cost effective loco to restore.(5711 for
> >example)
>
> Of more benefit to RTM and the state as a whole would be using the bits of
> 3813 to restore 3820.
>
> Cheers
> David

As a related issue, I would be interested to see something similar here.
Steamrail & co. do an excellent job restoring various steam, diesel and
electric locomotives and running stock in Victoria but there are still a
lot of static exhibits in the Williamstown Railway Museum enjoying the
sea air. Is this due to lack of funds to restore them or lack of
volunteer-power? It would be interesting to know what it would take to
get some of the static locos moving again especially those 'classic'
classes not represented in a restored fashion already eg D3, A2, E or F,
and extra especially Heavy Harry (H).