Re: Wonderful, Customer-Responsive GSR

scorpion <"Scorpion"@SE Net.com.au> > wrote in message
<34bdf5cc.0@kastagir.senet.com.au>...
>David Proctor wrote:
>
>> I emailled GSR in early December, at the email address given on their
>> webpage. The thrust of my email was that I had booked a sleeping berth
>> from
>> Adelaide to Melbourne inAugust 1997, to travel in February 1998. At
>> the
>> time I booked, a club car was available on the train, although at the
>> time
>> I emailed, it had been removed (and subsequently reinstated). My
>> question
>> was: as the service which was now being provided was substantially
>> different to the one I had purchased, was I entitled to a
>> cancellation-fee
>> free refund. I also asked them if they had considered the implications
>>
>> under the Trade Practices Act.
>>
>> Now, one month later, I have still not had a reply. I included my
>> address
>> and telephone number, as well as my email address (goes without
>> saying!)
>>
>> My point is this:
>>
>> 1. Does GSR have anybody there reading the email, and if not, why do
>> they
>> bother putting the address on their webpage?
>>
>> 2. If they do have someone reading the email, they are obviously the
>> dynamic, customer focussed body they claim to be, as they cant even be
>>
>> bothered replying to me.
>>
>> What is happening to our rail services?
>>
>> --
>> Regards
>>
>> David Proctor
>> daproc@bigfoot.com
>
>This is the birth of private railways in Australia.  CLEARLY Profit
>driven and not service driven. Public Transport must remain Public not
>Private.S

My experience is that public transport publicly owned was run for the
benefit of the employees and customers were an unnecessary nuisance.
Privately owned public transport either provides an acceptable service or
loses its customers and goes broke. Perhaps the question should be "Does the
Overland fit into GSR's overall strategy or did they just have to take it as
part of the deal?"

If I was in their shoes I would not be inclined to waste too much effort on
it because

1    As it is set up as an overnight train it is not much of a tourist draw

2    Planes take virtually all of the business traffic

3    Economy/backpacker traffic is catered by at least 2 coachlines (I don't
know exactly how many run on that route) and Greyhound are finding the
business difficult.

Overnight trains for point to point travel are dead as a money making
venture in Australia. Not only that, they do not even perform a public
service as other modes of transport fill the gaps quite adequately and they
just take up track space that could be used by real (that is freight)
trains.

Barry Campbell