Re: Melbourne ATM's -- "touch" panels?

Paul Dwerryhouse wrote:

> "Translib Pty. Ltd." <enquiry@translib.com.au> writes:
>
> >Perhaps my friends at Glenferrie will open more barrier gates than just
> >one, especially during peak hours.
>
> This, perhaps, is the one thing that annoys me more than _anything_ else
> on our rail system.
>
> Getting to Museum Station, or Flinders St. with all those gates around,
> yet only two or three are open because the Gestapo are flexing their muscles.
> The bottleneck formed by people trying to get out is just ridiculous.
> (And probably dangerous too. I'd like to see the Safety Map (TM) people
> rate that one...)
>
> Roll on free public transport.
>
> --
> Paul Dwerryhouse                                        paul@xenu.ee.mu.oz.au
> "The growing use of e-mail, not to mention Web-page publishing, threatens to
> reverse the trend towards illiteracy among the supposedly educated without at
> the same time improving their spelling". -- Michael Swaine, Dr. Dobb's Journal

As an interesting aside to your comment on free public transport, when I
was in Perth on a mystery flight with my girlfriend last March, I
collected a brochure which spoke about a system where Fremantle (or
should that be Fr'mantle ;-)) residents received a free TransPerth
travelpass entitling them to free travel within a bounded local area on
public transport for a year. Does anybody have any statistics on what
the Fremantle council pays per resident for this and whether any other
similar schemes operate to encourage people to use public transport?
Also, how feasible would it be for other forward thinking councils (as
opposed to those who fight traffic problems with larger roads and bigger
and more car parking) to undertake such a system?