Re: Pronunciation of Station Names

Owen Cook wrote:

> "Chris Brownbill" <cbrnbill@enternet.com.au> wrote:
>
> >Ravenshoe          Ravens-hoe  (not Raven-shoe)
>
> This is the Ravenshoe south of Atherton (Long since closed)
> There is Ravenshoe    ( Raven-shoe) west of Townsville, but I just
> can't find it at the moment

This is not correct at all.

Ravenshoe south of Atherton was closed because the Federal ALP
government stopped logging in the area in the late eighties. The
sawmill was basically the only costumer of the line. The line opened
on 11 December 1916 and services terminated at beginning of 1989
although the line wasn't pulled up.

Ravenswood is directly south of Townsville on a branch from the Great
Northern Railway. It opened on 1 December 1884 and closed on 7
November 1930!` It was a gold line and closed when gold mining became
uneconomic and other traffic declined greatly. Ravenswood was the
first Queensland town to lose its railway.

Cheers

Garry