Re: Pronunciation of Station Names

Chris Brownbill wrote in message
<01bd1e90$70b25060$LocalHost@brownbill>...
>There are a number of railway ststions around the country whose names are
>not that obvious to pronounce, and you can often pick the tourists because
>they get the pronunciation wrong.  Below I've listed some that are not
>obvious and a phonetic representation, and also I've listed some that I
>myself dont know - maybe someone can hekp me out with those!

Even the locals can't agree on some pronunciations.

In Perth when the new Joondalup railway opened, the trains automatic
station announcment system annonced "The next station stop is
`Glen-da-lock'" for Glendalough Station.  This was a bit of a suprise
to many as up until then many had been calling the suburb Glen-da-low.
There was an ongoing debate in the local press on the topic.
Transperth used the original Irish pronunciation `Glen-da-lock' from
the irish locality of the same name.

At least there seems to be no displute over the local pronunciation of
Albany in WA which is said Al-bany, not ALL-bany.

Alex...