Re: Melbourne ATM's -- "touch" panels?

Daniel Bowen <dbowen@custard.net.#SPAMTRAP#.au> wrote in article
<69a53g$dj8$1@eplet.mira.net.au>...
[SNIPPED]
> That explains why at Camberwell (platform 1? The north-most?) two of
> the three gates are closed, with one being left open. I haven't seen
> anybody actually validate tickets to open the closed gates - everybody
> seems to go through the open one.

In the one time I have been to Camberwell station, I have noticed many
people TRYING to use the gates, most of them with no success, either
eventually having the gate let them through after many tries, or giving up
and walking through the open gate.

Another thing i would be interested to find out is, are the public
transport workers being educated on the MetCard system yet? Last night i
happened to be on a Night Link tram with a friend at aproximately 3am (A
class, #279) and he had an unvalidated MetCard which he had purchased on
the 4th of January from a station on the Ringwood line. What he does, is
buys tickets in bulk when paid, and uses them appropriately. However, last
night, he tried to use this one (which hadn't been validated yet) and the
driver requested to see it. His validators were not working (what else is
new?) and he tried to tell this person that the ticket had expired, simply
because it had been issued on the 4th of January. After a lengthy argument,
he called the depot or his supervisor and discussed the matter. He then
finally decided that he was wrong and let us continue with the journey. I
am surprised at how a passenger (two passengers in fact) had a far better
knowledge of the MetCard system than a tram driver.

I have also heard a rumour that the whole system is due to be switched on
completely on the 24th of February. Is this true? since only bits and
pieces are working at the moment and some stations are still unequipped
with the ticket machines OR the validators. (An example of this is Glenroy
station) Perhaps someone can tell me when the rollout date is for this
station, since all other stations on this line (aparently including
non-suburban station, Craigieburn) have been equipped.

Cheers. Regards:
Michael Kurkowski
simcard@comcen.com.au
http://simcard.base.org