Re: Melbourne Airport Link

Customer Services wrote:

> Yuri J Sos wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > According to the Premier, a car is the only mode of transport that can
> > move a person and their luggage from the airport to the door of their
> > destination without a change of transport mode.  The Treasurer said
> > that the Government is so committed to widening the Tullamarine
> > Freeway that it was difficult to imagine varying those plans (to
> > accommodate other transport modes).  Surveys released by the State
> > Government show that 96% of all surface passengers to the airport
> > arrive by car.
>
> It is obvious that majority of "surface passengers to the airport
> arrived by car", as there are no many other alternative transport to get
> there.  I suppose the rest of surface passengers (ie. 4%) must arrived
> by Met Bus (478, 479 - only operate during the weekend!!),
> private-operated "Airport Buses", motorcycles, push-bikes, or by foot!!
>
> I.C.

> Translib Pty. Ltd.                                 A.C.N. 077 950 513
> 712 Glenferrie Road                        Telephone: +61 3 9815 1233
> Hawthorn  VIC  3122                        Facsimile: +61 3 9815 1299
> Australia                              Email: enquiry@translib.com.au
>                                  Internet: http://www.translib.com.au
> Books and Media            Information Service             Stationery
> Approved CCT Library Supplier for Purchasing Victoria and MAPS Group

Actually there are several weekday services on 478 or 479 as well which
go via the Airport, especially during the peak hour and intermittently
on 479 (Sunbury to Moonee Ponds via Airport and Westfield Airport West)
in between peaks. I am writing this more out of a sense of accuracy
rather than any belief that anyone using the airport would seriously
consider it as a transport option.
	As for talk of deciding a route for the railway, Victorian governments
have been announcing that as long as I can remember and even if they
reserve a route, I doubt it will be built in the short term unless
private enterprise get involved and certainly it wont be built by Jeffs
road-oriented government. After all, remember the East Doncaster railway
reservation (or should that be the houses now built on it) - and that
was under the 'pro-transport' Labor government (although corrections are
most welcome if it was the Hamer government)