Re: Simple Question.....

In article <34ae2059.45875247@news.netconnect.com.au>,

  krel4203@netconnect.com.au (Kevin and Rita Lawrence) wrote:

> >Does anybody know how London Underground manages to runs its quite

> >impressive density on what appears to be single aspect signalling? (Or am I

> >wrong)

> AFAIK where there is a visibilty problem for single light signals on

> LT the previous signal has two lights and shows aspects as per NSW

> practice. This is unusual as most overseas railways seem to use the

> speed signalling system similar to that used in Vic and SA.

> Cheers Krel.

To the best of my knowledge LUL does indeed use the two light system in
many parts of its network, but it does this to increase line capacity,
rather than to provide visibility. Where visibility is an issue, high
intensity repeater lights are situated before the main signal, used only
in foggy/snowy conditions. Furthermore, LUL utilises Automatic Train
Control on the Victoria line, and will use ATC on the Jubilee line in
peak periods when the extension to the same has been completed. ATC has
required a new aspect -white- to be added to signal heads so that drivers
don't panic when their train drives itself through a red light. It is
hoped that by using ATC only in peak periods, drivers will suffer less
from boredom, and be able to keep their driving skills in practise.

Any corrections to the above are most welcome!

Rob