Re: NRs on Indian Pacific

On Tue, 30 Dec 1997 20:30:02 +1100, "Sharon Fung"
<prize5@s054.aone.net.au> wrote:

>Peter Pilbeam wrote in message <34aaa28a.26706002@news.syd.att.net.au>...
>>On Sat, 27 Dec 1997 00:01:43 +1100, "Sharon Fung"
>><prize5@s054.aone.net.au> wrote:
>>>Last weekend, the RSA finally moved the signal troughing in no. 1 tunnel
>at
>>>Lithgow to where it should be. As a result of this, the Indian Pacific
>>>should be regularly hauled by NR's both into and out of Sydney from now
>on.
>>
>>They wan't a problem until NR tried to run out of gauge engines!
>
>The NR's aren't the problem. The specifications for the NR's were signed off
>by all relevant Rail Authorities before tenders were called. The SRA / RSA
>(whoever??) has discovered that, in this case, that the signal troughing was
>placed in the wrong position being foul of their own loading guage.
>If the NR's were at fault, then why did RSA pay the substantial cost of
>moving the aforementioned signal troughing ???

Well I don't know who paid for the work to be done, more than likely
Rail Access, NR don't like paying for anything. NR weren't real
impressed having to hire 3X81 class from Freightcorp, I wonder if the
hire charges had something to do with the rerouting of the cables.
Peter