Re: Melbourne's Old Train Fleet

David Proctor wrote:
> Werribee. I'm not sure about Glen Waverley, Alamein, Epping or Hurstbridge.

There are all sorts of restrictions to rollingstock between Clifton Hill
and Jolimont - hence you'll see in the MTP that S, Z, N, CP, PCP, SJ etc
carriages are not permitted Jolimont-Clifton Hill, but if you can get
them to Clifton Hill some other way they can keep going to destinations
beyond :)

As I understand, the 4D is not allowed on this route, hence with the
removal of Jolimont as a maintenance facility (and it can't get to
Epping), the set can't really be maintained properly!  Last I saw it was
at Spencer St pass yard - are CMD looking after it, or is it in
storage??

As for new trains - given that the Hitachi's have been getting extensive
half-life upgrades, (the work done on these cars is very extensive, it's
not simply cosmetic with new white panelling, new flooring etc, there's
a lot of work in the overhauls) I would anticipate you have approx 15
years before you'll see new suburban trains.

Cheers,
Craig.
--
Craig Haber