Re: GSR-Keswick

Tony Albert <root@DELETESPAMaalbert.demon.co.uk> wrote in article
<ant0117030b0VGUC@aalbert.demon.co.uk>...
> In article <mauried.418.34AAD598@commslab.gov.au>, Maurie Daly
> <URL:mailto:mauried@commslab.gov.au> wrote:
>
> > Do the franchisees have to pay any ongoing charges to BR or anyone else
> for the priveledge of running their trains.
>
> Background:
>
> Railtrack - a publicly owned company quoted on the Stock Exchange - owns
all
> the track, signalling and stations that were BR property in the old days.
> Railtrack control trains (signalling) and are responsible for the
national
> rail timetable.
>
> OPRAF = The arm of government that lets out franchises, will run them
should
> they default, and negotiates changes to franchises and ensures franchises
> perform to contract.

OPRAF stands for Office of Passenger Rail Franchising.

The other party to all this is ORR - Office of the Rail Regulator - a
government body which vets and approves ALL agreements - such as franchise
agreements, track access agreements, etc - involved in running the railway.
His job is basically to see that everybody gets a fair shake, including the
taxpayers who provide the subsidy, the users of the service (passsengers or
freight forwarders), Railtrack and the TOC's (train operating companies).

> Current situation:
>
> All 26 franchises pay Railtrack access charges. The greater proportion of
> the charges are fixed and running extra trains is not that expensive.
Where
> electric traction is involved, franchisee pays Railtrack for the
> electricity. One or two franchisees have negotiated a profit sharing
> arrangement with Railtrack - notable Virgin. Most franchises do not have
the
> right to operate trains anywhere and, generally, there is no competition
> between franchises.
>
> The franchises negotiated with OPRAF vary from 7 to 15 years, the longer
> ones have a committment to run new trains. Generally each franchisee
> receives an annual subsidy from OPRAF at the beginning. Some franchises
> (particularly the ones that were let late on in the process) will be
paying
> OPRAF for the privilege of running trains in the later years of
franchise.

One franchise - Gatwick Express - commenced paying OPRAF from Day 1 of the
franchise taking effect - but when you look at their patronage levels, and
the type of patronage they have, it  is not difficult to see why this is a
profitable franchise!

> Freight operators are charged by Railtrack. EWS (= Wisconsin Central)
which
> has 90% of the market have negotiated a deal that enables them to run
trains
> on a flexible basis so that they can give a price quickly.
>
> I can not give any figures but email me know if you would like any
further
> info. Watch the spam trap!
>
> --
> Tony Albert
> Holebroc Doomsday Book 1086

It really was a most bizarre way of organising privitisation, and it
doesn't really seem to be working - a lot of the benefits of a national
network have been lost, and the place was falling to bits when I was there.
Bring back BR.

--
Regards

David Proctor