Re: Vicrail rail closures

Rob Coventry <bobby@netspace.net.au> wrote:

>I am making up a series of maps showing the status of the Victorian
>Railways from 1854. Could anyone please give me any information or
>dates for the following:

>I don't have any dates for the opening of the following lines:

>Underground loop
>Altona to Laverton
>Webb Dock line
>Flinders Street to Princes Bridge

>I don't have any dates for the closure of the following lines:

>Myrtleford to Bright
>Bairnsdale to Orbost
>Camperdown to Timboon
>Noradjuha to East Natimuk
>Carpolac to East Natimuk
>Lubeck to Bolangum
>Jeparit to Yanac
>Hopetoun to Patchewollock
>Wodonga to Bandiana
>Redcliffs to Meringur
>Wedderburn Jun. To Wedderburn
>Lilydale to Healesville
>Piangil to Kooloonong
>Nth Creswick to Allendale
>Kerang to Koondrook
>Moulamein to Balranald
>Numurkah to Picola
>Dookie to Katamatite
>Traralgon to Maffra
>Baxter to Mornington
>Diggora West to Cohuna
>Moe to Yallourn
>North Fitzroy to Fitzroy
>Flinders Street to Pt Melb.
>Flinders St. to St.Kilda
>Lal Lal to Lal Lal racecourse
>Hearnes Oak to Yallourn
>Royal Park to North Fitzroy
>Geelong South to Cheetham Sdg
>Korumburra to Coal Creek
>Ballarat Cattle Sdg

>I have no information at all on the following lines:

>Springhurst to Wahgunyah
>Stratford to Maffra
>Nth Geelong to Fyansford
>Horsham to East Natimuk
>Dimboola to Yaapeet
>Mildura to Yelta
>Shepparton to Dookie
>Numurkah to Nathalia
>Strathmerton to Cobram

>Thanks in advance.
>--

As far as I know, the best source on opening dates for all lines is
Leo Harrigan's "VR to '62".  In an appendix is a comprehensive list,
officially had opening dates... i.e. lines opened in step-wise fashion
are listed by section, in the order they opened.

Some closing dates are also given especially very old closings such as
Lancefied-Kilmore, the Outer Circle, St Kilda-Prahan (or wherever it
was), Dunkeld-Penshurst.

The Working Time Tables, in the 1960 - 1985 period, usually listed the
closure dates (and dates of last trains) at the relevant spot in the
tables.  These also referred to the Secretary's Branch notice
reference number, allowing you to chase the documentation in the
archives.

Geoff Lambert