Re: Mt Gambier

In article <68h8ua$b7i$1@news.mel.aone.net.au> "Barry" <one@microsoft.com> writes:
>From: "Barry" <one@microsoft.com>
>Subject: Mt Gambier
>Date: Fri, 2 Jan 1998 07:47:06 +1000

>Does anybody know what is the status of  both lines into Mt Gambier. I know
>that the ex AN line from the main interstate line south is closed but who
>owns it ? Also, what about the Vline connection from the now std gauge
>Portland line?

>Barry Campbell

Its pretty bizzarre.
All the track in SA which was previously owned and operated by the SA Govt ,
ie all the old SAR track,prior to its handover to AN , reverts to the
ownership of the SA Govt , who then lease the whole lot to G & W for some
token rental. (The "Interstate Track is excluded from this arrangement,as is
TransAdelaides track.))Currently track access in SA on the Interstate bits is
being carried out by what seems to be part of the new organization which is
reffered to in Arthurs Hansard Postings.Also , the SA Govt have the right to
rip up track which G & W indicate they dont want to use .
This is my understanding of the whole mess , from the readings of the relevant
legislation.
I would also welcome any more precise details.
I beleive that Heywood to the Vic / SA Border would still belong to the PTC.

cheers
MD

Maurie Daly
Department of Communications Lab.