Re: X class NSW shunters

Yep the whole conversion thing became a bit of a demarcation dispute.... at
the time there was a fully qualified driver at Coffs Harbour working  a
split shift on daywork  Mon -Fri ..... he was offered redundancy and took
it... so the blokes at Grafton thought it would be a good little earner for
one of their own on full xpenses etc.. being on loan to Coffs... The SRA
decided they would not use drivers and decided to qualify station staff....
the then AFULE wouldn't have a bar of anyone but a fully qualified driver
being in charge in normal working conditions of an auto brake valve... so
the SRA decided to remove the Auto feature,.... the union had no arguement
with that.....

Out of interest the X at Wauchope is rooted..... just attracting weeds and
kids throwin stones.... the other that was at Kempsey has been removed from
there to become the Shunting engine for the sugar siding at South Grafton...
they had fun getting it there too... got to Macksville under it's own steam
but died and was eventually hauled to Grafton by the 49 NRR were using....
at the moment it is being done back up for a return to service.

Cheers
Jack
For a minute there I lost myself