Re: Dorrigo

Bill Bolton wrote...

<<Having seen the state of the "collection", I'd say that there needs to
something other than just money put where the mouth is.>>

Most people who see Dorrigo are amazed at how good the condition of the
rolling stock is. The passenger cars have been waterproofed. The locomotives
have been properly prepared for storage and are regularly black oiled.
Inspection of the locomotives indicates that this process has been very
successful. For example the boiler lagging is completly saturated with oil
and appears to completely repel water.

<<Stockpiling decaying rolling stock in a remote locations seems to be a
favourite activity of sections of the overall rail "preservation" hobby in
Australia, but it is doubtful whether it serves much useful social
purpose.>>

Dorrigo is not as remote as you think. The rainforest centre currently
attracts 170,000 visitors a year. One of the reasons we picked Dorrigo was
that is is an established tourist/holiday area.

Trevor