Re: Capricornian story

thalystgv@yahoo.com wrote:

> Can anyone provide me some brief information about "Capricornian"
>
> which was the only long distance train(>500 km) in Australia
> completely haul by electric loco.
>
> James

The Capricornian replaced the Rockhamptom Mail. It entered service on
Sunday 8th November, 1970. Initially it departed Roma St at 7:30pm five
nights per week and arrived in Rocky at 9:50am the next day. It was
initially hauled by 1460/1502/1550 locos. I'm afraid I have no
information on it being hauled by Electric Loco. However, it is doubtful
this occured for too long as the Spirit of Capricorn ICE train came into
service at about the same time that the line between Rocky and Brisbane
was electrified.

Cheers