Re: Airport Link tunnel walk

McFergus@my-dejanews.com wrote:

> In article <3685cef7.6315276@news.ozemail.com.au>,
>   nswsrca@ozemail.com.au wrote:
>

> AFAIA most Campbelltown via East Hills trains will continue to travel via
> Sydenham, and the East Hill's local services will divert via the Airport. I
> believe that the local services are a little less crowded than the
> Campbelltown semi-fasts, but other people in the ng could confirm or deny
> that.
>
> >n additional road underground would be expensive, but a turnback at Turella
> would suffice, such as;
>
> <<< East Hills line  City via Sydenham
>
>                                                                       /  /
> >up fast-------------------------------------------------------------/  /
>                                          \   /                         /
> >up slow--------------------------------------------------]           /
>
>   p1 & p2 |==========|  /  City via Airport>>> <dn
> slow--------------------------------------------------]  /  \  /  \  / <dn
> fast----------------------------------------------------------/  |==========|
>  TURELLA p3
>
> This arrangement would allow supplementary morning trains (when commuter and
> airport traffic is most concentrated) from either the Airport or Sydenham
> directions to terminate and turn back on Platform 2, whilst leaving the Up
> Fast and Up Slow free for regular traffic. Whilst a train stands on Platform
> 2, East Hills bound local trains could detour onto the Down Fast for a
> station stop at Turella, before returning to the Down Slow to continue the
> journey. As this would be contra-peak, pathing conflicts between the East
> Hills locals and Campbelltown semi-fasts would be minimised. One major
> problem would be the lack of space at Turella, but this could be avoided by
> staggering the third Platform in the East Hills direction, and slewing the
> lines accordingly.
>

> > Hunslet.
> >

> Rob
>
> Sydney (Australia)

I don't claim to be an expert on this but if you look at the new tracks Sydney
end of turrella station, there are a set of point which could possibly be used
for shuttle services. I doubt there would be any need to build extra platforms (i
don't know if there is or not) just an adjustment of the time table should do it.

rostered trains are are packed in the peak hour and well patronated in the off
peak.

rgds