Re: Rail connections - Narrandera - Tocumwal line

On Sun, 06 Dec 1998 22:19:11 +1100, Bruce Marshall
<obuka@alphalink.com.au> wrote:

>Would appreciate any info on proposal to repair trestle section of
>Murrumbidgee viaduct at Narrandera. Have heard whisper that review of
>this line may be subject of current NSW government review of closed
>lines .

G'day.

Sorry for the late posting - I have been catching up on some late
viewing over Christmas.

The Narrandera to Tocumwal branch was one on 33 for which Rail Access
Corporation invited submnissions, which have since closed.   From my
recollection, RAC is supposed to make an announcement in March
(election time???).

As I understand it, the only liklihood of re-opening was if V/Line (or
who-ever is today's owner) wished to convert northwards from Tocumwal
from standard to broad gauge to capture further grain traffic.

But it seems to be doing quite well as it is, from both Tocumwal and
Oaklands, so don't hold your breath..

I suspect that the only result to come out of the RAC investigation
(AFTER the elections), will be to formally close many of the lines.

Hunslet.