Re: 1st time Ghan visited Melbourne??

On Sat, 05 Dec 1998 05:08:46 GMT, thalytgv@hotmail.com wrote:

>The Ghan's "carriages" had been to Sydney and Melbourne long before:
>
>The Ghan's "carriages" had been in Melbourne ever since standard gauge line
>from Adelaide to Melbourne opened in 1995 as substitute for Overland
>carriages when Overland carriages are overhauling etc. same thing happen to
>Sydney as Ghan carriages occasionally substitute for Indian Pacific
>carriages. If Ghan carriages (or even Indian Pacific) carriages made in to
>Roma street, Brisbane that would be news.
>
>Any report on Overland carriages sighting in Sydney , Perth, or Alice Spring?

G'day.

I know its a late response, but I have been using the Christmas break
to catch up on some light viewing!

Overland sleeping car MALKARI was in Sydney in November 1960.   Now,
remember, that is before the standard gauge went through to Melbourne,
so the vehicle would have been bogie exchanged  at either Wodonga or
Albury.

I have some photos of the vehicle sitting in No. 2 siding (shunting
neck) behind Redfern Station.  Sorry, I don't have  a scanner as yet,
so I can't post the photo as evidence.   If any one is desperate, let
me know and I will get some one else to post it.

Hunslet.