Re: What to do with XPT?

David Proctor (daproc.spambait@umpires.com) wrote:
> David Bromage wrote in message <75irso$5ph$6@news.mel.aone.net.au>...
> >Actually, it was the Mk IV cars which were built with provision for
> >tilting. Although the HST uses Mk III cars, the XPT used a local design.
> >The only real similarity is the bogies.

> That still doesn't change the fact that some Mark3 cars went to Switzerland
> and were fitted with tilting bogies, David.

Yes, but the modifications would not be easy or cheap. The Mk III does not
have a body profile designed for tilting. You wouldn't be able to tilt
very much before you were out of gauge. Also the bogie/frame arrangement
was not designed to take the tilting mechanism.

I suspect that the modifications may have the same problems as the
Fiat/Siemens tilting mechanism in that the tilting mechanism will have to
be above the suspension by virtue of the original design. As you can't
absorb most of the lateral movements in the suspension, much of the effort
of tilting will have to go into keeping the carriage centred. It only
works well if your track is absolutely perfect.

If you can put the mechamism unerneath, you you can absorb the lateral
movement there and use standard airbag suspension above.

Cheers
David