Re: Rails by air (Was Sydney tram wheel profile)

On Thu, 17 Dec 1998 21:23:11 GMT,
billboltonREMOVE-TO-EMAIL@computer.org (Bill Bolton) wrote:

>You might find it useful to do some study of the current relative
>economies of international shipping by various modes.  Your view of
>the role of international air freight seems to be stuck somewhere back
>in the 1960s.

I admit that I know absolutely nothing about the economics of
international air freight but rails by air seemed to me a bit like
freighting coal by air. Now here is a suggestion for Coal Corp (or is
it Solid Energy or has it been renamed yet again?) in its tiff with
Tranz Rail  <gn>.

Seriously. rails are a dense object of awkward shape and probably low
value per kg. The mechanics of loading them onto an aircraft and
transporting them to and from the airport are what prompted me to
start this thread.

I will accept that I am completely  ignorant of the role of air
freight if someone posts a (truthful) message stating that somewhere
in the world coal  *is*  transported by air <another gn>. Of course,
such a message would be off topic on mtr-anz......