Re: Future for QR Tin sets

Matthew Smith <matticue@corplink.com.au> wrote in article
<3678a761.0@news.bris.corplink.com.au>...
> Some SX sets may be retained for use during maintenance requiring
overhead
> isolations. This depends on the way power is fed to each particular line.
If
> both the Up and Down lines are de-energised at, say, Oxley, power is lost
> all the way to Rosewood.
>
> Similarly, If both lines are isolated around Wynnum North, power is lost
all
> the way to Cleveland. For example, a double track closure/isolation
between
> Redbank and Ipswich (like the one coming up on Sunday 10th January means
> diesel power must be used on the Rosewood shuttle.

Diesels would be unlikely on the Rosewood trains as there are no run round
facilities at Rosewood. Either a DEL would be required each end or the
trains would have to run to Grandchester to run round. QR very cleverly
built both crossovers at the Brisbane end of Rosewood. Rail motors may be
more likely. There are at least 5 x 2000 class rail motors in service now
including one centre unit. I understand that these are intended for use
during isolations as that many are not needed for the Yeerongpilly-Corinda
shuttles.