Re: XPT service ? Jack.

Jack wrote in message <75atit$umk$1@reader1.reader.news.ozemail.net>...

>And who would they be

People like me - when I travel, I pay the adult fare (notice I did not say
full fare - if there is a D30 or a D20 available, I will take it).

I am a tennis umpire and travel to Melbourne regularly - the one time when
it is time critical is between the NSW Open (finishing on a Saturday) and
the Australian Open (starting on the following Monday).

In January 1998, I convinced a group of my fellow umpires to travel by
train - some left Saturday night in sleeping berths (Tennis Australia was
reimbursing, so they were adult fares) and thos eof us involved in the final
in Sydney went on the day train on Sunday). Those who went in a sleeper will
never travel by train again - the cars were grotty and dingy, and very rough
riding.)

Those who travelled with me in the day train also will never travel by train
again - due to WOLO restrictions, the train arrived in Melbourne at 2110
(great when you have to be on a tennis court at 0900 the next morning, after
having been on tennis courts all week before) and again, the service was
appalling, the cars dirty and grotty (and this was before we even left
Sydney). We will certainly be flying down in 1999. We are the optional
travellers that they need to be trying to attract.

David Proctor
daproc.spambait@umpires.com