Re: Woman killed in fall from XPT

> >Why an older person would be thrown out I do not know.]
>
> Maybe it wasn't accidental?  Thought cross your mind?

Indeed there is a chance that the fall was not accidental.. I don not
know. There is also the possibility that the person was desperate for a
smoke (as seems to often be the case with XPT passengers!), and was
deliberately holding the door open.

On a trip from Sydney to Brisbane earlier this year, which was already
running quite late, a group of passengers who had alighted for a
cigarette ignored *repeated* requests to board the train, instead
remaining on the platform. Eventually the train began moving off without
them, and it was amazing how quickly they managed to get onboard! The
passenger attendant had a few words to one of them just after departing,
and the problem (people had been loathe to board at previous stations)
was quickly rectified.

DB.